Tools & Resources Tribal Governments Program Tribal Governments Program FAQs

Tribal Governments Program FAQs

View the answers to frequently asked questions.

FAQs Related to Reporting in General

Q: How do we best determine which sections of the Tribal Governments form to fill out?
All grantees must complete the mandatory sections on the form: Sections B, F, and subsections A1 and C3. To best determine which additional sections in which to report, consider your grant-funded staff and the FTEs you report in Section A2 Staff Information.  Only report in the sections of the form that reflect grant-funded activities, or activities conducted by grant-funded staff.  If grant-funded staff are not completing activities under a certain area, you will not report in that section of the report, even if your organization is doing the work using other funding.

Q: What is an example of how our FTEs can help us determine which sections of the form to fill out?
Here are a few examples of how certain FTEs indicate which sections of the form are completed:

  • Grant-funded Law Enforcement Officer FTEs? Fill out Section E1 Tribal Law Enforcement.
  • Grant-funded Supervised Visitation Staff or Security Staff FTEs? Fill out D2 Supervised Visitation Section.
  • Grant-funded Court Personnel or Judge FTEs? Fill out E3 Tribal Courts Section.
  • Grant-funded Trainer/Educator? Fill out C1 Training and/or C2 Education Section.

Q: If we have more than one Tribal Governments grant, how do we most accurately report on activities for each of those grants?
If you have been awarded separate Tribal Government grants, each grant likely funds different types of activities.  Consider the goals and objectives of each individual grant.  On each progress report, only report the respective activities that are supported by each different grant.  Additionally, on each reporting form for the separate grants, all grantees must complete the mandatory sections: Sections B, F, and subsections A1 and C3.

For example:

  • Grant A: The objectives of the grant relate to training and education. In Section A2, report the grant-funded staff who provide training and education.  Complete Section C1 Training and C2 Community Education, in addition to the mandatory sections of the form.
  • Grant B: The objectives of the grant relate to system improvements. In Section A2, report the grant-funded staff conducting activities for system improvement.  Complete Section C7 System Improvement, in addition to the mandatory sections of the form.

FAQs Related to Training

Q: Do we use the “other” category in question 11 to report tribal community members?
No.  For the purposes of this form, training means providing information on sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sex trafficking that enables professionals or volunteers acting in the role of a professional to improve their response to victims/survivors as it relates to their role in the system.  Training is not an educational presentation or prevention education.  Educational activities or events with community members are reported in Section C2 Community Education.

FAQs Related to Victims Services

Q: Can we use grant-funds to serve victims from different tribes or from other states?
The populations you are grant-funded to serve are determined by your grant proposal and what was approved by OVW when you were awarded your grant.  If you have any questions about this, please contact your OVW grant specialist, who will be able to tell you what is allowable under your grant.

Q: Do we report all of our agency’s hotline calls?
OVW asks that you only report grant-funded activities.

  • If grant-funded staff are answering the hotline, or supervising volunteers who answer the hotline, you would report all hotline calls handled by the grant-funded staff and/or the volunteers they supervise.
  • If grant funds support a portion of the hotline budget, prorate your agency’s total hotline calls to reflect what portion or percent of hotline calls that grant funds support.

Q: Do we only report grant-funded emergency shelter and transitional housing in question 33b: “Shelter Services”?
Yes. If grant funds support Emergency Shelter and/or Transitional Housing, report this in q. 33b.  Remember, report an unduplicated number of both victims/survivors and of family members in q.33b.

Q: Do we report court-related services that are provided by a grant-funded Victim Advocate in the Legal Services section?
A: No. Only report in the Legal Services section if your grant-funds support lawyers, paralegals, or specially appointed advocates who provide legal services to victims/survivors during the current reporting period. If you have a grant-funded Victim Advocate providing services, the grant-funded services provided by that staff will be recorded in q. 33a Victim Services.

Q: How do we report the activities conducted by a grant-funded Licensed Attorney?
A: If you have a grant-funded Attorney, fill out the Legal Services section, questions 35 through 37. If your grant-funded Victim Advocate provides services up to a certain point and then refers a victim/survivor to a non-grant funded attorney, do not report the attorney services in the Legal Service section (because the attorney and the services being provided are not grant-funded).